Are you wondering how to set up multi-factor authentication (MFA) when you do not have access to a phone or mobile device in your workplace? You are able to set up MFA without a phone or mobile device by installing the WinAuth app on your computer. This article will walk you through the steps to set up WinAuth MFA on a desktop/laptop computer without requiring a phone.
Steps for setting up Client Portal multi-factor authentication option that does not require a cell phone
- Select “Use Authentication App” when prompted on the Client Portal.
- Download the WinAuth app, an open-source authenticator for windows, on your computer. Click on this link to access the page that contains the download, Download - WinAuth.
- Select the blue link “under the latest stable version” and a zip folder will download to your computer in the downloads folder. Navigate to that folder on your computer and open the WinAuth zipped folder, double click on the only file within the folder.
- Click add on the screen below and select Authenticator from the drop down.
- A new screen should appear, see below. Enter or copy/paste the alphanumeric code from the Client Portal screen found below the QR code. Enter this unique code from the Client Portal into Step 1 on the WinAuth app, ignore Step 2, and click the “Verify Authenticator” button in Step 3. A number should start to appear at the bottom of the WinAuth app screen in Step 4. Enter the six-digit code supplied in Step 4 of WinAuth app into Client Portal Verification Code box at the bottom of the screen. Click the Verify button on the Client Portal screen. You will get a “Good job” message on the Client Portal verifying you set up MFA. You will be prompted to log back in to the Client Portal.
WinAuth App Client Portal
- On the WinAuth app there is an additional screen, titled Protection, when you initially set up the app. You can set it up as described or uncheck the first box and click OK to bypass the screen.
- Subsequent times when you need to login to the Client Portal, open the WinAuth authenticator on your computer and the code you need for multi-factor authentication will appear. Use that code, combined with your username and password for successful login to the Client Portal.